Firstly, we have an event coming up on Saturday the 10th!
Secondly, you may have noticed our website has gotten a little dusty as of late. We’re undergoing some changes within the museum and the historical society. Look for more information in the coming weeks.
Also new in the past year or so is Our American History, a free program series. We think it’s been pretty successful and after taking August off, we are back this Saturday the 10th with Patriots in Petticoats with Cynthia Abbott Kauffman and Debra C. Palazzo. We hope you’ll join us at the Putnam Valley Free Library – note the change in venue – at 10:00am. The full fall schedule for the series has been added to the events menu.
In other event news…
- We will be at Town Day on September 17th. Please stop by and check us out.
- The final details of our annual Halloween event on October 26th are being worked out, so keep an eye out for that.
- Our Annual Meeting and Awards Reception will be October 30th at Char Steakhouse. This year’s honoree is VFW Post 391. Invitations have been sent out to the members, non-members are welcome to attend as well. Click on the events tab for more info.
- The Holiday Boutique will be December 3 & 4, and possibly the 10th. Again, details are being worked out.
In other museum news…
- Our current exhibit celebrating 70 years of the Putnam Valley Volunteer Fire Department is still on display. Stop by the museum before October to check it out!
- We have scanned close to 2,000 photographs and are still going. There will eventually be a searchable database of the pictures, but only a limited gallery will be available online. There are several dozens (if not over a hundred) portraits of people that we can’t identify, dating back to the late 1800s. A “Who Am I?” album will hopefully be up by the end of the year. If you follow us on Facebook, you’ll notice several newer photo postings, each time with a different theme. It’s been great seeing people comment and converse with each other about the pictures and memories they may have evoked. For those not on Facebook, we are working on getting them posted here too.
- Our document archives are being organized and somewhat digitized. The photo collection has been a time consuming project; this one is even more tedious. The archives room will also be getting updated starting later this fall. Please bear with us if you’ve requested information. We are working on it!